Monday, February 11, 2013

Handmade Rustic Leather Satchel

Mood Board.
The process of brainstorming… Here is were characteristics of future handbag designs are molded and conceived. By scanning thousands of on going images of leather goods, I selected from them, appropriate style lines,  particular shades of leather, textures and finishes, stitch detail, size and shape, and think to  myself does the design make sense? is it user friendly?

Leaning on vintage leather goods, I began to look for alternatives to these naturally aged leather bags, so I started searching for the designs which carried this idea of "natural beauty".  Natural Beauty is the simplified style lines which exposes the raw beauty of leather. I respect those who show admoration for this particular material. Leather is what I have difficulty chosen to craft with. But in the same regard I use every aspect, down to the smallest scrap. I put thought and love into each design, so I may present to you, bags which bring to life this beautiful art of leather crafting, and this wonderful, timeless material, that with age, exceeds it's charming looks and prospers in natural aging.



Handmade leather bag.
I have used found hardware with natural aging, magnetic closer, options in straps, and I also used two different shades of leather. The bag is a hazelnut oil tan cow hide. The strap of the bag is a heather gray cow hide and is double sided to provide strength and durability. 



Many have questioned on my handmade bags which purposefully have no lining material. I stick firm to taking pride when I can expose the inner part of the hide.  It is difficult to waste any aspect of the natural hide to todays synthetic materials.


Three rivets on either side of the gusset for more security and durability. 



This is just the beginning of Ophilya, handmade handbags! Stay Tune...


             Xo.Ophilya

No comments:

Post a Comment