Monday, March 4, 2013

Handmade Woven Leather Bag


During my Senior year at Savannah College of Art and Design we were asked to create a cohesive eight piece collection. The first quarter consisted of inspiration research, technical skills, and mock ups, so that when we began working in leather we would know exactly what not to do with our products, and ways to fix our mistakes in our designs. 



My first step into creating a product is becoming inspired with the materials, from there, creating an inspirational assemblage of photos that can convey my design and thoughts. The yellow leather which is awkwardly spotted, with a high gloss finish, is an accidental acid dye patten leather cow hide. As I was  walking into the Tandy Leather warehouse a worker rolls out on to the table, this weirdly awful, but amazingly spectacular cow hide. He cringed and murmured, "I don't know what the heck I am going to do with this." That was the moment I rushed to observe, and in seconds knew this was that piece for inspired thought. 

This misfit hide that would have perhaps never found a home was the perfect center piece to this upcoming collection. From there the accent colors were searched out and purchased. The brown oil tanned cow hide was all hand-woven (yes it did indeed take quite a bit of time to skive and hand-weave each single strip) but with time and patients I was thankfully able to achieve what I was set out to do. Normally I do not like to mix such extreme textural details but for some reason this combination of the woven and acid dye hide would be the highlight to the beginning of my young design career.

The Interior Is also quit spectacular. Custom printed with the sign language alphabet and within the zipper pocket located in the lining, is hidden a bright colored custom printed stripe fabric for the twist of personality in this medium sized woven handbag. This bag has become the beginning to a new passionate brand of design.


                  Xo.OPhilya.

1 comment: